Dr. Oz is under quite the attack for his popular television show promoting health education, natural options and home remedies. He’s being attacked for featuring a weight loss product without sufficient evidence backing, and supporting GMO labeling. In fact, this group of 10 doctors has urged Columbia University to fire him. A dramatic measure considering how many FDA-approved medications cause serious injuries or even death, and are pulled from shelves, yet doctors aren’t fired for prescribing them.
The truth doesn’t lie, and thanks to the internet, no matter how hard people try to buy their version of the story, cyberspace will link us back to reality. Let’s look at some facts about this situation with Dr. Oz. Who wants to shut him down, and why?
- Henry Miller. A corporate-funded scientist, and outspoken GMO advocate, he was hired to defeat the GMO labeling bill in California. He co-founded the FDA Office of Biotechnology, protecting Monsanto’s profits. To clearly understand his agenda, learn more about his career.
- Dr. Gilbert Ross. The executive director of The American Council on Science and Health. He was “convicted of racketeering, mail fraud and conspiracy,” and was “sentenced to 47 months in jail, $40,000 in forfeiture and restitution of $612,855” in a scheme to defraud the Medicaid system, reports the U.S. Right To Know campaign.
- More than half the doctors who joined the effort to shut down Dr. Oz are affiliates of Dr. Ross’ led organization, a chemical-promoting industry group that once tried to protect the tobacco industry by claiming medical evidence claiming smoking was harmful was “pseudoscience.” This group receives funding to protect industries using toxic chemicals like asbestos, Agent Orange, chemical endocrine disruptors, pesticides, and herbicides. Here are the facts about the American Council on Science and Health.
- Senator Claire McCaskill. This politician received over $146,000 in campaign contributions from one of the largest pharmaceutical retailers in North America. Sen. McCaskill also accepted over $37,000 from Monsanto, the leading GMO manufacturer.
- Supreme Court judge Clarence Thomas, who has presided over Monsanto cases ruling in their favor, was formally a lawyer who worked for Monsanto for four years. He’s not one of Dr. Oz’s accusers, but I’m including him in this list of people whose opinion can’t be trusted, a conflict of interest affecting justice.
Dr. Oz receives no monetary compensation for educating the public about health, or alternative options like nutritional supplements he features on his show.
Independent studies, free of tampering or intimidation from industry agendas in America, have discovered evidence of GMO risks. Not surprisingly, the GMO manufacturers have worked hard to discredit any unflattering studies that reveal unwanted public concern about their product. Here are few studies consumers have a right to know about:
The first GMO to hit the market was in 1994, it was the delayed-ripening tomato. I was diagnosed with IBD the following year. I was cured of IBD ten years later, when I finally ignored the many doctors who insisted that food had no relation to my illness, and decided to take a new approach to my health care, which included changing my diet. I traded toxic foods for organic whole foods. This healthy change still hasn’t completely healed the damage done from nearly a decade taking powerful prescribed antibiotics, immunosuppressant and anti-inflammatory medications. My philosophy: look at diet first, before you do more harm. Autoimmunity disorders are on the rise, and some believe GMO’s are a contributing factor.
Let’s look at facts again:
- There is a product that has been genetically engineered and introduced into our food supply without us knowing.
- There have been no long-term studies to confirm that this bio-engineered food is safe to consume, or what it’s side effects may be.
- GMO companies forbid research on genetically modified seeds without their approval, and they block whatever is unflattering.
- Any effort to label GMO foods are stopped by the company making the product (if they believe in their product so much, why do they want it concealed? Why not label it with pride?)
- 26 countries have banned GMO’s; Russia’s President Putin was furious the Obama administration wouldn’t discuss biotech monopolies like Monsanto, and GMO’s.
- Obama promised GMO labeling in 2008 during his election. Instead, Monsanto affiliates were hired in key positions in the FDA and USDA.
- The FDA has a track record for approving drugs without testing them – and ignoring problems when they arise.
Protecting America’s Health and Safety
We need more studies documenting the before and after effects of GMO consumption. We now have a GMO timeline, we need independent consumer watchdogs and brave, protected scientists doing some real investigative work here without any interference from agenda-driven interest groups. Something that concerns me is how many people under 30 are being diagnosed with illnesses today and taking prescriptions, something that wasn’t as common forty years ago.
Considering the above facts, do you think Dr. Oz deserves reprimanding for his television show or do you think it’s just another way for the GMO industry leaders and investors to keep their product protected by keeping their consumers uneducated?